Pages

Wednesday 23 August 2017

Reading Target Student


My target student for reading has made huge progress this year. He has made accelerated progress moving from Level 17 to Level 21 in two terms. My goal now is to get him to the Year 4 standard in the next 15 weeks. After talking about my target student in our monitoring meeting yesterday, I recognized hat I have a gap in my knowledge on how to effectively teach the strategy of inferring. My focus for my target student has previously been around decoding a text and using some simple comprehension skills. Now moving towards the Year 4 Standard there is a larger focus on comprehension and thinking critically about the text. I went back and re-visited the 'Effective Literacy Practice Years 1-4' text. ( Pgs 131- 133 explored ways to build comprehension strategies). 

Key ideas: 
Ask inferential questions 
Pause when I want students to notice something or draw out clues in the text. 
Prompt students to make connections between different parts of the text 
Ask students why they arrived at a particular conclusion 
Ensure readers have opportunities to meet challenges in texts 
Give feedback when students use a particular strategy to solve a problem.

Building Comphrehension Strategies ( Use goals they could include;) 
- Identifying the sequence of the facts in a piece. 
- Describing the use of a certain kind of language in a text 
- Explaining how parts of a story or procedural text relate to each other 
- Describe how characters develop in a text 
- Identify authors intention. 
- Identifying the purpose of the text and its structure of from 

So what? 
With my target student, I'm going to encourage my student to identify, describe and explain a range of different responses to questions. I am going to pre-write my inferential questions before the guided reading session and make them explicit and focused to ensure my target student continues to make accelerated progress. I will record my Guided reading session and upload it next week. 


1 comment:

  1. HI Becs, I find writing the questions down before the time was very helpful. This year I have also made a big effort on giving them time to think. I find this very helpful in their deeper thinking. Have you watched the webinar from Jill Eggleton? https://www.anymeeting.com/WebConference/RecordingDefault.aspx?c_psrid=E955DB84864D31 ? I found this very helpful with differentiating between how a writer thinks and how a reader thinks. Can't wait to see the video you mentioned. :)

    ReplyDelete

rebeccas@parkestate.school.nz