Pages

Friday 5 May 2017

Manaiakalani Intensive - Session Week 1

Session One (5th May 2017)

Learn
Today’s session focused on exploring google docs, google extensions/ add ons, harper teacher dashboard. Here are the notes below.


Main goals of Manaiakalani:
  • Was to motivate learners to engage with the curriculum.
  • Create an authentic audience (more than just the teacher)
  • Personal voice is valued and powerful
  • Raise achievement outcomes


Lead teachers of Manaiakalani achievement was observed. (Large shift in N.S results 2010 compared to ‘normal’ classes not using the learn create share philosophy.)


-Internet into students homes??? Kotuitui
-Whanau- need to be active partners- Could we do a whanau/student- chromebook share? On top of what G. is doing?? -Could the students take part and present as part of next years induction?/ could students present what and how the chromebooks can be used for?
-How can whanau support their students at home?( Is this monitored?)
- School collaboration - Primary/ College.
-Parents can constantly view students work.
-Purpose of this - Intensive programme about supporting teachers outside of the classroom.


Google Save (Similar to bookmarking but a visual display a large amount of content)
Google Drive- Organising folders.


Am I teaching my students what I learn here? Think am I building my students tech capability? Can I give suggestions throughout my lessons?


Google Docs
Create headings and a table of contents (Each heading has its own link. So you can send your document and it will take the person to the specific heading/ part of doc you want them to look at).
Figure out how to put it into my site!
Google Voice typer
  • Using google typer (Next week could do for follow up for reading) - English NZ
  • Reports/ reflections.
  • Get students ideas down.


Publish to web- becomes a mini website.


Addons
  • Easy accents - Maori accents for words
  • Docutube- (Keep students on a specific video)
  • LucidCharts- About charts and diagrams.
  • Move it” - Get students up on their chromebook (Chrome Extension)
  • Hyperlink
  • Doc secrets
  • Word Cloud
  • https://www.jasondavies.com/wordcloud/  - (Shared document, PB4L- then create a wordcloud).
  • Talk and comment ( to support low level readers and ESOL) ( Allows you to voice comment on a document- students can listen to the comment if you want to discuss something in depth.


Teacher Dashboard
-Drop and drag to move students.
-Can show more than 5 items.
- Parent dashboard?
-Password- Maybe students have their own?
- You can email students all at once.

Create



Share
I was able to take away new tools and skills for myself and for the students. As you can see in the venn diagram I have many tools and new skills that I am going to implement in the next few weeks. The comic about the kawa of care will help me pull in my digital skills and also support my students in caring for their chromebook. This session has helped enhance my confidence with google docs, harper and the learn create share pedagogy. I am hoping to present some ideas back at my school and cluster in particular for my school inquiry ( Writing) using the voice typing add on for google docs- this will help my lower writers get their ideas down on paper. ALSO the extension of type and comment will help me give more detailed feedback that students can listen to again and again- opposed to me saying it once (Rewindable learning). Could also use the type and comment to give students instructions.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting for me to see what captured your attention and particularly what you plan to do with it. You have shared many great ideas here and it will be so helpful to the rest of us to see how you turn it into practice..
    Great to have you with us Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Rebecca,
    It looks like it was a full-in day with lots of learning. I really like the google save - will have to try that one out.
    I look forward to talking further about how you implement some of the ideas.
    Maria

    ReplyDelete

rebeccas@parkestate.school.nz