Pages

Wednesday 16 May 2018

UDL

How to design learning for all students 

UDL 

Engagement- Provide an environment that is supportive of all students 
Representation- How we present the information in different ways 
Action and Expression- Learn, create, share. 

Technology- Google tools/ site- 
Instructions not too much on one slide
Adding audio
Using videos
Rewindable learning. 
Visual prompts 

Differentiated thinking 
-Retrofit 
-Fix the students 
-differentiation 
-adaption 

UDL thinking: 
Design from the edges 
Being inclusive 
Giving them options of tasks to choose from 

7 Principles of Learning 
The principles are identified as:
  1. Learners at the center
  2. The social nature of learning
  3. Emotions are integral to learning
  4. Recognising individual differences
  5. Stretching all students
  6. Assessment for learning
  7. Building horizontal connections 


So what? 

After the course, I thought that a lot of my practice does have the UDL principles underpinning it. The course allowed me to see that a lot of what myself and sally are already doing is UDL and is allowing all students to be included. One take away from the course was that I should plan from the edges of my class and give more options or avenues for students to take when learning. An inquiry learning focus helps students get more choices and allows me as the teacher to offer many different ways to complete the inquiry. At times I find it easier to differentiate the learning to meet the needs of my students but this has its implications. Next week I am going to plan with a UDL hat on. 

2 comments:

  1. You're right Becs we do see a lot of the UDL principles in your practice. As you say though it is very easy to default to differentiation. I like the idea of planning from the edges. Hopefully this has provided you with a clear framework and some resources to assist in making UDL principles the default in your class.

    ReplyDelete

rebeccas@parkestate.school.nz