Understanding Behaviour and Responding SafelyNotes:
- Connects to PB4L and reinforcing positive and desired behavior.
- Understanding ourselves to see what our triggers as teachers are.
- This will help us manage our reactions to certain behaviors.
- Looking at what stress does to us.
- We want to understand the difference between Responsive (Rational/ Constructive) vs Reaction.
- We want to calm ourselves so that we can react in an appropriate way.
- Ways of responding to stress. Students may respond in an Active (Run, Throw, Fight) OR Passive (Freeze, Hide, Stop responding).
- Relationships with students are extremely important Non Verbal support- Calm, in control, attentive, interested, empathetic.
- Emotional Stages (Ready to learn, Out of sorts, Escalating, Out of control, Calming down)
- Teaching and practicing calm down strategies.
- Getting students to recognize the signals for themselves.
I want to create a PB4L lesson around how to respond when we are upset/ angry. It will be important for students to know how their bodies react to stress and what they can do in class to help them.
- Calm down bench (Outside)
- I feel____ sheet- Get that ready in class (Come in when calm and then place sheet on table so Miss Spies knows).