Pages

Thursday 28 June 2018

Observation of Reciprocal Reading


Today I went and observed Dani and a reciprocal reading group. 

What I noticed: 
Dani encouraged the student to ask questions to each other opposed to her
Encouraging them to google unknown words or answers to questions they have. 

The Boss 
The Predictor 
The Clarifier 
The Questioner 
The Summarise 

The boss sits at the top of the table. The teacher sits as part of the group. This was a big take away for me as I am trying to move away from being the center- and I think where I choose to sit is an important aspect. 

The students did a great job of asking questions and answering them. My students are currently writing down questions but I wonder if they should just ask each other. My focus is to get the students to think about the text- maybe there isn't much point getting them to write it down??

It was great for me to see what year 7/8 students are doing so that I can see the next steps for some of my students. I went away thinking I need to play more of a guiding role as opposed to being at the center of my reciprocal reading groups. I am finding it hard to juggle proving teaching and also letting them think for themselves and run the session. Dani had the balance perfect! 

Also as students used a strategy it is important to name the strategy. Dani told the students when they used different reading strategies- This would be extremely beneficial to my students so that they actually know and understand what strategies they are using.

This, with my argumentation focus, would help me create a strong reading programme for the rest of the year! And will hopefully see some accelerated progress :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment

rebeccas@parkestate.school.nz